You need to take view of the fact that cancer is a unique disease. As it does require specialized course of treatment you need to choose one based on the inputs. Most people are likely to get in touch with an oncologist a doctor who goes on to treat cancer diseases. More often than not they go on to choose a medical centre where their doctor is based. Some others go on to look after a centre based on the type of cancer they are suffering from. After that they go on to locate a doctor who is based there. The staffs that go on to treat you at the medical centre are part of the team as well. This is going to include nurses, technicians and social workers. You would need to be aware on how to choose a doctor as well.
At the same time insurance may have an impact on your decision. You would need to choose a centre that is covered by your insurance plan. More often than not the insurance company is going to provide you with a list of approved centres. It is seen that still you need to choose from a number of centres as well. The doctor is still in the best position to understand what type of cancer treatment you need to provide, the course of treatment and this is modelled as per your needs. It does make sense if you discuss with the other patients on which course of treatment which they would like to opt for. Before choosing a cancer hospital in India you need to keep the following points in mind
- What is the experience level of the cancer centre in treating the specific type of cancer to be honest? How far they have been effective in treating those type of cancers
- Is the centre really close to your home or for the matter your office
- What is the support services which the centre goes on to offer the family members of the patients. Is it possible whether the social members or other works are going to work in a team or not.
- Would it be possible for the clinic to offer clinical trials
- In case if the centre happens to be far from your premises are there facilities for you along with your family members to stay? Just understand on whether it is close to airports, hospitals or restaurants.
It would be prudent on your part in resorting to the choice of a cancer centre before you begin the treatment. At the same time take note of the fact that whether this treatment is done on an inpatient or outpatient basis. In case of an in patient procedure you would need to stay in the hospital and you are likely to be closely monitored during the recovery phase. When it is the case of outpatient process there is no need for any form of hospital stay. You need to discuss with your doctor on what works best.